EHS roundtable run

• Site Admin
    chaz
    @louisiana

Not sure of who all is attending just yet or if all their guys are running but for the boys teams I would predict:

1) St Pauls
    2) EHS
    3) Catholic
    4) Jesuit
    5) Brother Martin
    6) STA

I would imagine in no particular order to look for these names in the top 10: Johnson, Albright, St. Cyr, Fitzpatrick, Jackson, Brocato.
  • Site Admin
    chaz
    I dont know much about who is showing up on the girls side but I hope at least 4 of the top teams make their way out there.
  • User
    anythinggoes
    EHS Predictions:

Top 5 teams:
    1. St. Paul's
    2. Episcopal
    3. Jesuit
    4. Walker
    5. Catholic

Top 10 Individuals:
    1. Albright
    2. Johnson
    3. Fitzpatrick
    4. Jackson
    5. Capello
    6. St. Cyr
    7. Warren
    8. Stamey
    9. Brocato
    10.Murrey
  • Site Admin
    chaz
    I didn't know if Walker was running, but they would definitely make a run for a top 5 spot. That would be interesting if they placed ahead of Catholic. I think last weeks race was a rust buster and they will be ready to roll now. Or at least that is the impression I get from looking at Catholics other opening meets in the past.
  • User
    anythinggoes
    @chaz
    I really expected Catholic to run much better last weekend. They should beat Walker, but based on what I saw last weekend, I have my doubts.
  • User
    greyhame
    @runleanfast

Ascension Catholic is a good team, no doubt. Which of these six teams do you see them beating (they will have to beat two to place in the top 5): St. Paul's, Episcopal, Jesuit, Brother Martin, Catholic, Walker? Their losing to John Curtis would not be particularly surprising, either.

Also, your Caps Lock key is located on the left side of your keyboard. It is adjacent to the "A" key.
  • User
    anythinggoes
    runleanfast
    ASCENSION CATHOLIC BOYS AND GIRLS ARE REALLY GOOD .BOTH SHOULD BE IN THE TOP 5 TOMORROW.

@runleanfast
    AC Boys are pretty good with a tough 1,2 punch, but have no chance of being in the top 5 at EHS. A 7th place finish would be impressive and might even earn them a mention as a top 10 composite team. Their girls' team isn't even on the radar.
  • User
    greyhame Edited
    anythinggoes

9. Brocato

chaz
    I would imagine in no particular order to look for these names in the top 10: Johnson, Albright, St. Cyr, Fitzpatrick, Jackson, Brocato.

I don't think it is officially CC season until Brocato is grossly over-rated by at least one person on LArunning. I believe he finished out of the top 20 this A.M.
  • Site Admin
    chaz
    @greyhame

I don't think you can say a 4:27 miler as a sophomore is over rated. He presumably had a bad race today, or they could be training through these early meets.
  • User
    thespecs
    @chaz

Since greyhame said the bit about it "not being XC season", we can probably assume he was saying that Brocato is overrated as a cross runner--not on the track. Mile/1600 ability oftentimes does not translate particularly well to cross country; I tried to explain this last year to a poster who claimed that Ben Ross of Catholic had the ability to be a top 5 XC runner statewide based on his 1:58/4:28 track credentials. Most, or almost all, of the top 10 XC guys in the state can run very strong 1600/800s, but a guy having strong 1600/800 PBs is not exactly cause to expect him to finish high in very competitive (for Louisiana) XC races.

I'm not sure that you can write off Brocato's performance today as a "bad race". He ran only 7 seconds slower than last week on a much more challenging course. That looks to be pretty much in-line with what his teammates ran. I, too, am curious as to how a guy can put together this string of finishes in his past 5 major XC meets and continually be projected among the state's elite XC guys: 2011 Roundtable Run--11th, 2011 Walker Shootout--13th, 2011 Northshore Championships--13th, 2011 State Championships--outside of the top 20, 2012 Roundtable Run--outside of the top 20; 5th among his own classification.

BTW, congratulations to you and your guys for a 6th place finish in what is likely to be the most competitive meet besides Walker this year. The rest of your picks for today were more or less correct. No offense intended, but perhaps the whole you-and-Brocato's-coach-went-to-Shaw-together thing clouds your judgment a bit.
  • Site Admin
    chaz
    @thespecs

I'm more or less basing my opinion of his performance at EHS today off his performance last year where he ran 16:13 at the same meet. And thanks about the meet. Looks like EHS keeps the streak going this year, and honestly doesn't look to bad to continue it in the near future too. Very impressive times across the board for them.
  • Zach Fitzgerald
    User
    3200guy
    St. Aloysius' Annie Hill, who I think is an 8th grader, continues to kind of run under the radar because she doesn't go to a PK-12 school and runs exclusively in junior high races. Don't know what high school she plans to attend but had she run the varsity girls race yesterday, she probably would have given Gabrielle Jennings quite the challenge. She's definitely got superb endurance having run a 5-mile road race in 31:48 last year.

Also, I've mentioned him in the past, but I was impressed with STA's Craig Rock running 17:08 yesterday. He ran the fastest 300 hurdles time in the state last year (37.78) and 14.48 in the 110h and has gone at least 6-0 in the high jump. He competed in a decathlon in 2011 but don't think he has since then. Seems like he could get pretty good at the dec if it's something he chose to pursue in college. Plus, he comes from the same school that one of the best decathletes from Louisiana ever, Cory Roberts, graduated from.

All that said, the varsity boys race had to be the deepest race overall. I haven't looked it up, but 15:27 might be the fastest 3rd place finish ever at the Round Table Run. I'm sure Sean Swanner can correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Site Admin
    chaz
    Is St. Aloyisius known for producing runners? I could be wrong but looked like they had a decent size team yesterday. Craig Rock is an amazing all around athlete. He is one of the major reasons why the STA track team does as well as they did last year. I know he is really running some good workouts up there. Should be interesting to see if he can break 37 before high school is over. And the race definitely was fast yesterday. High 16s didn't even guarantee a top 25 finish. I have a feeling we will see some times at the Catholic High/Walker meets that the state hasn't seen in decades.
  • Adam Carlisle
    Coach
    Insider
    Dumbledore91
    St. Aloysius and Annie specifically are under the watchful eye of former Louisiana great Tre' Hendry. Great coach with lots of experience as a runner himself. It's only a matter of time before Annie dips below the 12 minute mark.

Also big props to Devyn Keith of JC on a great race yesterday, it could be argued that his first mile was what led to such fast times yesterday. I know Keith had a decent track season last year but this young man seems to have shown a lot of improvement over the summer, if he's able to hold this form that will make the 2A individual race all the more interesting come November.
  • Site Admin
    chaz
    @Dumbledore91

That's interesting to know about St. Aloyisius. I'll keep an eye on them in the future.

And Devyn has come a long way since last year, but I think people would know more about him if he didn't have such bad luck around the times of the state meets. I held him out of state because of a sore IT last fall, and both state track meets he had bad colds. He's actually running a lot less now than he was last year (probably around 20-25 mpw this year with less quality, just focusing on staying healthy, where as last year we was consistently between 30-35 mpw) and it has paid off.
  • User
    My_Will
    I think Brocato is a very talented athlete. Hopefully, he will see the above posts and use them as motivation in order to get the job done. Tommy, remember that each and every step counts. Choose them wisely.
  • Site Admin
    chaz
    @My_Will

Certain teams/runners get bad raps around here. I think STA and their athletes know they are still in great position to place 2nd. Lakeside should also be a factor in the 2A race.
  • Sean Swanner
    User
    s_swanner
    @3200guy

Cory Roberts was actually a product of Archbishop Rummel, only attending STA after Hurricane Katrina.

It was indeed the fastest 3rd place time at Roundtable Run. The previous fastest 3rd was Andy Florek with a 15:28 in 2005. That year, the meet was held on the last weekend in October due to two hurricanes in September. 2005 still has the fastest time-for-place marks for places 4-13.
  • Zach Fitzgerald
    User
    3200guy
    s_swanner
    @3200guy

Cory Roberts was actually a product of Archbishop Rummel, only attending STA after Hurricane Katrina.

It was indeed the fastest 3rd place time at Roundtable Run. The previous fastest 3rd was Andy Florek with a 15:28 in 2005. That year, the meet was held on the last weekend in October due to two hurricanes in September. 2005 still has the fastest time-for-place marks for places 4-13.

@s_swanner

Actually, Roberts went to Archbishop Hannan before Katrina. He was definitely stronger in the throws and pole vault than I'm sure Rock is, but Rock is definitely better in the hurdles, highs or lows, than Roberts was and Roberts used to hold the 2A record in the 300h. But, yeah, that's why I said he graduated from STA and not that he was a product of Hannan.
  • andrew huston
    User
    lasseviren
    chaz
    @greyhame

I don't think you can say a 4:27 miler as a sophomore is over rated. He presumably had a bad race today, or they could be training through these early meets.

@chaz

a 4:27 miler should be able to "run through" a cross country meet and still place top 10. i've seen it happen, multiple times.
  • Site Admin
    chaz
    @lasseviren

I guess we will see how the season plays out. It's not like big drops in fitness don't happen at one time. My senior year of high school I think I barely made top 25 at any given invitational meet I was in, yet placed 11th at the state meet beating a host of sub 16 guys. Amazing things can happen when the weather changes!
  • User
    anythinggoes
    [quote=greyhame]@runleanfast

Ascension Catholic is a good team, no doubt. Which of these six teams do you see them beating (they will have to beat two to place in the top 5): St. Paul's, Episcopal, Jesuit, Brother Martin, Catholic, Walker? Their losing to John Curtis would not be particularly surprising, either.

@greyhame
    Nice call on John Curtis. I didn't see that one coming. They have a pretty young team and might be Episcopal's biggest threat next year. As far Brocato, the kid should be in the top ten. I've heard he puts in pretty heavy mileage in the Summer. Good speed in the Spring plus high mileage in the Summer often equates to fast times in the Fall. For whatever reason it hasn't worked for him yet. I wouldn't count him out just yet though.